Table of Contents in Word
This workshop explains how to add a table of contents in Word.
Add a table of contents in Word for Microsoft 365*
- Open your Microsoft Word document.
Select the Home tab.
You will need to apply a style to each heading you would like to include in the table of contents.
- Select the text in your document you would like to include in the table of contents.
- In the Styles section, select Heading 1 for major headings or Heading 2 for sub-headings.
- Repeat steps 3-4 to apply styles to all headings and sub-headings in your document.
- Select the spot in your document where you would like to add the table of contents.
- Select the References tab.
- In the Table of Contents section, select Table of Contents.
Select the style of table of contents you would like.
Word will add a table of contents in your document.
*These instructions may vary on other versions of Word.
Task for Learning
Successfully add a table of contents to your Word document.
Table of Contents in Word © 2022 by Victoria Tsonos is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.